Bees’ll buzz and I’ll afford their organic honey cuz…I’ll be doing whatever rich and famous folks do…Sportin’ a healthy bank account, not blown away by emergencies. Da da… Da doo…A bah bah ba baba boo!
Attention and money are both so intense
Put ’em together, it never, ever makes sense!
Rat dadat dadat dadat dadadadadoo
Anonymity’s the best time to stay in and cuddle, but put me in ‘attention’ and I’ll be a happily overexposed attention wh…oh, umm, writer/blogger! So when life gets rough, I persist by frantically grabbing my dreams of not just wallowing in obscurity…Oh the sky will be blue and you guys’ll be there too!!! When I ever do what obscure folks do with attention!
Choose love, hope, peace, kindness (people often forget it’s free), laughter, compassion, family, friends, helping others when you can…naps https://yadadarcyyada.com/2016/02/01/theres-a-nap-for-that/ and cake (not necessarily in that order).
In a world seemingly ruled by attention, how do you keep up (and why)?
1. Be interesting.
2. Interesting not enough? Try shocking.
3. Shocking still not getting enough clicks, likes, and shares in this attention economy? Try no-no-Notorious (sorry, Duran Duran apparently still holds some mysterious thrall over me).
4. Are you feeling like you should keep a single thought, event, or moment private? This is your dignity and self-respect rearing its ugly common sense head, don’t self-sabotage! Tell all! Show all! Don’t let fear of failure stop you from succeeding in your attention-seeking goals.
5. Toss aside burdensome personal and professional relationships – more will come along and if not, you still had your brief, precious moment in the spotlight.
6. Be committed! This isn’t a diet, gym membership, Netflix browsing (what day is it?), friendship, job, or relationship – this is serious! Getting attention isn’t for the faint of heart.
7. Stop looking for the meaning of life, you found it: getting attention.
8. Helping people is nice, but what if you can get attention while doing it? Fire, flood, famine, family, friends, fawning, fatuous, fake fads – all the new attention-grabbing fabulous!
9. Your life is for sale, stick a sign on you that says ‘Sold’.
10. Over 4 years ago when I started blogging I wasn’t thinking about the attention, or was I?
https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/04/10/im-hooked-on-a-feeling/ https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/08/27/message-in-a-bottle/ https://yadadarcyyada.com/2017/06/02/nobody-puts-bloggers-in-a-corner/
So I’m going to take my own advice, There’s No Crying in Blogging (there is whining thought, right?) https://yadadarcyyada.com/2017/02/02/theres-no-crying-in-blogging/
People think they want attention and/or fame, money, etc., but maybe what they really want is connection.
I’m going to stop over-thinking, getting in my own way, getting frustrated (good luck, especially with WordPress around), and enjoy the moment.
I’ll try not to think about awful people, instead I’ll think of the awesome people I’ve virtually met (and adore!).
Also, blogging is cheaper than therapy.
Slow blogging (Thanks Fibromyalgia!!! https://yadadarcyyada.com/2013/11/23/f-is-for-fibromyalgia/ https://yadadarcyyada.com/2013/08/31/fibromylagia-is-just-another-word-for-lazy/) isn’t getting me many clicks and likes, but I’m ok with obscurity and I give thanks for what I have https://yadadarcyyada.com/2014/10/13/thankful-i-know-enough-to-be-thankful/
And I can still dream…and can still afford chocolate, for now https://yadadarcyyada.com/2014/11/22/who-moved-my-chocolate/
Once upon a time, a woman began a blog; she had no idea what she was doing, but that had never stopped her before. Almost four years passed and she found blogging was just like life, only with fewer calories and even more emails.
1. Life and blogging are about choices. Good? Bad? Who knows, until you make them.
2. If you want chocolate, bacon, butter, donuts, cookies, cake https://yadadarcyyada.com/2016/09/16/you-had-me-at-cake/ – go for it, but like in blogging, only so much before the clogging… https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/11/07/can-you-feel-the-blog-love-tonight/
3. The truth is always out there, whether it comes out or not, you’ll always know it can come out.
4. If you’re going to worry, make it worthwhile. On your deathbed I doubt you’ll be stressing out about if your toes look good in sandals, if you have the biggest house, fanciest car, most jewelry, and who you knew… https://yadadarcyyada.com/2016/05/25/crapathy/
5. You’re not the only one. Find someone who also thinks they’re the only one – you might help each other.
6. Having a love affair with cake and cookies can be epic, like, movie epic. Then again, Titanic and Romeo and Juliet…Balance in all things.
7. Laundry is evil and like all evil it grows if you ignore it…even to blog.
8. Be selective how you’re giving your time, it’s the one thing you’ll never get back.
9. Let your imagination run away with you sometimes.
10. Be a superhero. You don’t need fancy gadgets like Batman, alien powers like Superman, Amazon (ish?) powers like Wonder Woman. No cool suits like Iron Man, Deadpool, or Spiderman…Nope. You just need to care. Be a friend. Be there. Help someone. In the blogworld, ‘Like’ their post. Share their post. Blogging is strange when you’re a stranger…get out there and show some #bloglove Saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (awesome, but I wasn’t as hooked on the soundtrack as the first one…I am Groot) – it made me want to run out and help the world. Had to rewatch Guardians of the Galaxy https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/04/10/im-hooked-on-a-feeling/ because, hey, Chris Pratt.
11. There’s enough hard stuff in the world and the blogworld, don’t add to it.
12. The worst crime that I ever did, besides listening to rock’n’roll (paraphrasing The Stranglers, with a giggle), was telling myself I wasn’t good enough; if I didn’t believe it, why the Hell else would anyone else?
13. People always say “quit whining”…why? Sometimes, in the midst of a good whine sometimes comes a flash of insight, a bolt of wisdom, a bombshell of brilliant. Again, moderation.
14. If you’re good at something, learn how to be good at it for others too. Have the Time of Your Life. I watched the TV version of Dirty Dancing…made me miss Patrick Swayze…and Jennifer Grey’s nose. Nobody puts bloggers in a corner! https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/09/05/ive-had-the-time-of-my-life/
15. Life goes around and around. Watching Twin Peaks: The Return – just as weird, but sadly, less playful https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/08/02/never-tear-us-apart/ – I’m reminded, you always look back through different eyes. My blog has something to tell you – when you get there, you’ll already be there.
16. You can lead a good life without TV, you can also lead a good life with TV – life doesn’t have to be back and white (TV taught me that).
17. Despite what you may have heard, ‘Grease’ is not the word, but neither are: ‘low-rise’, ‘low-carb’, ‘SEO’, ‘dirt jeans’, ‘alternative facts’, ‘influencer’…
18. Don’t be a wrecking ball (also don’t swing on one naked, you don’t want to become a meme, right Miley Cyrus? https://yadadarcyyada.com/2013/08/27/blurred-miley-lines/ ). Try to leave things as good or better than you found them.
19. Watched Girlboss on Netflix, different, in a good way. Britt Robertson (Under The Dome, Life Unexpected, A Dog’s Purpose, etc.), plays charmingly frenetic Sophia. Produced by Charlize Theron https://yadadarcyyada.com/2014/06/06/1-2-a-million-ways-to-die-in-the-west/ – based on an autobiography of Sophia Amoruso, an American businesswoman, who at 23 started an eBay store, Nasty Girl Vintage, which became multi-million dollar Nasty Girl. Also, Dean Norris (Breaking Bad https://yadadarcyyada.com/2013/09/25/faux-ode-to-breaking-bad/ Under The Dome, X-Files https://yadadarcyyada.com/2013/08/20/the-truth-is-still-out-there/ https://yadadarcyyada.com/2016/01/15/5-ways-im-not-under-pressure/ 24, Grey’s Anatomy https://yadadarcyyada.com/2013/10/19/greys-anatomy/ The Big Bang Theory – everything, does this man sleep?), Norm McDonald (SNL)… Reminded me of an important life/blog lesson, a lot of things can go wrong before, during, and after they go right. I loved how the two friends always said, “Love you, in case I die” to each other, negating that terrible thought, the regret, that if you lost someone they might not know you love them.
20. Gratitude is often misunderstood, you can be poor, sick, longing, grieving, hurting, waiting, low blog stats, and still be grateful. Be grateful. https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/11/17/10-ways-to-be-grateful-even-on-bad-days/
I probably won’t be blogging much this summer, so Happy Birthday Canada https://yadadarcyyada.com/2014/07/01/happy-canada-day-eh/ https://yadadarcyyada.com/2017/04/28/well-cream-you-with-our-tim-hortons-donuts-you-hosers/ and America https://yadadarcyyada.com/2014/07/04/happy-4th-of-july/
I’ll be here and there, dear readers…and love you, in case I die.
1. Support. From family, friends, groups, or bras – support is important. Why? We all have saggy moments, even the world. I admit to feeling shaken and stirred – maybe it’s just too much time in the shallow end, I feel surrounded by ‘s’ words…
2. Salt. People have been using it for like 10,000 years, slightly longer than I’ve been alive. As a baby I had a saltlick in my crib. I wander the streets following salt trucks. I envy cats, dogs, and giraffes – they can freely lick humans for salt. I know it’s bad for me…my precious. I’m slowly desalting.
3. Selling. Everything seems to be for and/or on sale now. The new genius? Stephen Hawking selling cars.
4. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. One word review: Why? Just move on – Wonder Woman, Aquaman…just move on.
5. Snoop Dogg and Martha Stewart. I have so many questions about their Potluck Dinner Parties. Who’s their demographic? Who’s made most uncomfortable watching this?
6. Sorry. Never too late to say sorry, or is it, you decide. https://yadadarcyyada.com/2016/06/10/cant-you-just-pretend-to-be-nice/
7. Stupid. A lifestyle for some. We hate feeling stupid, it’s one of the top reasons we won’t admit to making mistakes. We can learn. https://yadadarcyyada.com/2013/08/28/is-the-dream-still-alive/
8. Self. With a silent ‘ish’? https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/03/04/dear-me-sitting-here-talking-to-me/
9. Sugar. We broke up by text last week then it sent me sugar roses and chocolates, so we’re still together, but seeing less of each other.
10. Stress. Yes. And plenty of it. https://yadadarcyyada.com/2016/11/11/social-media-can-be-flat-most-humans-are-3d/ https://yadadarcyyada.com/2016/05/25/crapathy/
Squirrel! Sorry, what were we talking about?
11. Sherlock. Enjoying the twisting labyrinth of Sherlock’s mind, the villainous machinations of his enemies, the long-suffering humour of Watson, then, it’s over again. https://yadadarcyyada.com/2014/03/13/sherlock/
12. Sense and Sensibility (and Seamonsters?). I think it’s about time to Jane Austen myself silly. https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/02/14/20-movies-to-avoid-on-a-first-date/ https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/08/02/never-tear-us-apart/
13. Sarcasm. An oft misunderstood art form.
14. Superheroes. Supernatural. My Spidey senses tell me we can all be heroes, even superheroes. https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/04/15/well-be-counting-scars/
15. Self-publishing. Haven’t tried this yet, but want to. Been writing and reading – I see a book review post in the future, until then https://yadadarcyyada.com/2016/12/15/the-cats-pajamas-birthday-party/ https://yadadarcyyada.com/2017/01/06/im-not-inclined-to-resign-to-maturity/
16. Scared. Silly. https://yadadarcyyada.com/2016/09/16/you-had-me-at-cake/
17. Sad. Nothing wrong with being sad sometimes. Being happy or acting like it all the time doesn’t make everything ok. Today is Blue Monday, apparently the most depressing day of the year (I think Friday will ‘trump’ Monday a million times over). https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/01/19/blue-monday-being-depressed-on-schedule/ Lots of cool blue things, lalalalalala Smurf a happy song…
18. A Series of Unfortunate Events. First, staggeringly stunning books by Lemony Snicket (sounds like a real name)…Then a cool movie – I bet Meryl Streep can think of way more unfortunate events nowadays…Presently, a quirky, impertinent series starring Neil Patrick Harris and Patrick Warburton. I’m so desperately happy it’s so desperately sad?
19. Saturday. https://yadadarcyyada.com/2014/08/09/i-miss-saturday-morning-cartoons/ Sunday. https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/02/01/lazy-super-bowl-sundae/ Smonday. All superb days of any week.
20. Simplicity. Striving to live simply, in the here and now – with all manner of stuff https://yadadarcyyada.com/2016/02/14/who-loves-ya-baby/
While my self-diagnostic is buffering and it continues…What are your favourite ‘s’ words and why?
How do I stay positive in a negative world? I’m positive I’ve had brushes with cynicism, brief flings with pessimism, but lately I’ve been feeling less, I don’t know, less confident in the positive aspects of life. In days past, I thought being positive and honest was doing the right thing.
I somehow believed being positive and honest would help me have a ‘good life’, it would make me ‘happy’, maybe even help others have a ‘good life’, but society keeps screaming at me that I’ve got it all wrong. And the screams are getting louder every day.
Dishonest people get what they want.
Greedy people get what they want.
Narcissistic people get what they want.
At least it seems that way.
Maybe I’m over thinking this, being too adult, too mature, maybe Steve Franks got it right in the Psych (best TV series ever or pretty close) theme song, “I’m not inclined to resign to maturity”. If what I saw in the past few years is adulting, then I see why: video games, smartphones, fast food, onesies, drones, vacations, etc. are so popular – they make us feel like children again.
Speaking of feeling like a child, while I still have Netflix for free and returned to Stars Hollow to catch up on Gilmore girls Resurrected (isn’t that the title, it should be).
When I started watching Gg, in 2000, the world was a really different place.
It hadn’t been completely invaded by smartphones, fake news, and lattes – people still talked to each other, only had semi-fake news, and drank basic legal stimulants, er, coffee…
Seven seasons of Gg…still going? Thanks, charming-fast-talkers-narcissistical-wholesome-spend-the-GDP-of-a-small-country-on-food-emotion-stringtuggers who make me feel hungry and slightly brain hurty.
Brain hurt aside, I don’t want to drink the Objectivism koolaid https://yadadarcyyada.com/2013/08/29/the-pursuit-of-happiness-cult/
It revived the ghosts of TV past and present (dare I hope, future?): Smallville, Roswell, Buffy, Charmed, Jared Padalecki – portrayed Dean in Gilmore Girls, later plays Sam in Supernatural, with his brother, Dean played by Jensen Ackles, hmmm, I’m confused https://yadadarcyyada.com/2013/08/26/supernatural-impala/
So, oops, I watched it again…
Apocalyptic/fantasy/historical books, movies, and TV shows are sooo popular: Hunger Games; DoctorWho; Colony; The Matrix; Vikings; Westworld; Grimm; Sleepy Hollow; Game Of Thrones; The Walking Dead; Terminator; Supernatural; Revolution; The Last Man on Earth; Z Nation; Aftermath (you get the point).
Worlds in these books, movies, and TV shows are full of horrible things, really horrible things, but…less consumerism, fewer people arguing over everything and not seeing other people’s points of view, less obvious fakeness, no smart phone dependency, and pimped out coffee – I can learn to handle a crossbow or find someone else who can handle one.
My New Year’s resolutions just begging to be broken…
Avoid foods that make me feel sluggish, ill, regretful, sigh, oops I ate it again.
Stop celebrating birthdays. This birthday made me feel my mortality – or was it watching long lists of celebrities who died in 2016, hmmm, I’m far from a celebrity, so I’m probably ok, for now.
Less watching shows like Van Helsing (the series); it’s good, if you like apocalyptic world orders where life is drained out of people – since Trump was elected POTUS and hacking in general (Russia in particular) is a cool thing now, I’m guessing the answer is a big fat juicy ‘yes’!
Don’t smirk when I hear stupid or bizarre things, ie. birthday platitudes like, “Your best years are ahead of you”. Really? Saying I’m in midlife wasn’t unrealistic enough? Unless I win a super-duper lottery, and/or get a 50 book publishing deal, https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/06/21/how-to-get-your-book-published/ and/or start dating David Tennant or James Roday (at the same time?), my best years are years I can only remember (what I can remember). And when people tempt fate at New Year when they say next year couldn’t be any worse (especially this year). Really?
Live my life with more passion, don’t give in to FOMO https://yadadarcyyada.com/2014/11/08/is-everyone-hanging-out-without-me/ and never run out of Windex, wait, that might all have to do with watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2.
I know, you know…
I doubt my purpose in life depends on being happy all the time https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/09/20/if-i-had-a-million-dollars/
I doubt I’d be filled with bliss if #FreshlyPressed (certainly not after the post I wrote, oops, how bridge burny of me) https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/03/26/why-i-will-never-be-freshly-pressed/
I doubt I’ll be hopped up on unmitigated glee at being the best paid blogger in the world (like to try). https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/08/27/message-in-a-bottle/ https://yadadarcyyada.com/2015/04/10/im-hooked-on-a-feeling/
Positive or not, I’m going to ignore aches/pains, lack of millions (coupons and sales rule!), lack of sleep https://yadadarcyyada.com/2016/11/17/follow-your-dreams-go-to-bed/ and other icky life problems. I resolve to give and receive kindness, unabashedly; grab that imaginary oxygen mask on that imaginary plane, breathe in, breathe out, and be as happy as I want to be.
I’m going to enjoy giving and receiving laughter.
Enjoy the pineapple.
Enjoy the music.
Enjoy the books.
Enjoy time with family and friends (in person or online).
Enjoy the cake and cookies.
Enjoy movies and TV shows.
Enjoy snow or sun or rain.
Who knows what I’ll gain (Friends, followers? Followers who become friends?).
Welcome to 2017, go out and be!
1. I like the colour black better than orange, except for pumpkins, they’re much better orange.
2. While the series, Orange Is The New Black is excellent, Piper Kerman’s Orange Is The New Black: My Year in Women’s Prison high-end-white-lady-sent-to-prison-lite-for-a-crime-she-committed-when-she-was-young-and-naive memoir has an incredible self-awareness you rarely find and should experience. Read the book.
3. Sorry Netflix, I borrowed the Season 1 DVDs from the library (yay libraries!!!). Not enough GBs and frankly, I don’t trust myself with that much access to older TV shows and movies. Maybe someday. Now just doing my time until Season 2.
4. I wondered if this show was going to go beyond being a bunch of whiny felonious narcissists strolling around in a homogenized, Hollywoodized, faux female prison fantasy. They did.
5. It took me a while to get into this book/series, but I finally understood, it wasn’t about prison, or the amount of hair products they manage to get in there; it’s about degrees of damage, not just the prisoners, but the staff, and even those on the outside.
6.There are a tons of nods to various shows, books, etc. : Star Trek, Weeds, American Pie, Manga, The Fault in our Stars, 50 Shades of Grey, This Is Where I Leave You, Les Miserables, The Help, Harry Potter, Stephen King, Shakespeare, Jane Austen, and of course who could forget the Robert Frost lecture.
7. Did they ever catch the chicken? No, wait, don’t tell me.
8. Piper Chapman aka “College” (portrayed by Taylor Schilling) has a cultured façade to cover her narcissism and fear; I wonder how many of us wear disguises?
10. The people that get close to Piper are inevitably sorry. Is she a toxic person? Or is she just doing her thing and people get in the way?
11. Uzo Aduba (Suzanne/Crazy Eyes) was actually a track star growing up; she even auditioned for Vicky Jeudy’s part, so she’s more like Crazy Legs than Crazy Eyes.
13. George “Pornstache” Mendez portrayed by Pablo Schreiber (The Wire, Weeds, etc.) is half-brother to Liev Schreiber (Ray Donovan, RKO 281, The Butler, X-Men, Mixed Nuts, etc.).
14. The show attracts cool guest directors like Jodie Foster and Andrew McCarthy, hmmm, Pretty in Orange?
15. A majority of the time we see the prisoners wearing khaki, but I guess Khaki is the New Black just doesn’t have the same ring to it.
16. Transgender star Laverne Cox has her twin brother, artist/musician M. Lamar play her in the flashbacks, when she appeared to be a man.
17. Each time Kate Mulgrew appears onscreen I expect to see aliens (too much Star Trek?), or for her to say she’s really Piper’s Mom (they played mother and daughter on the cancelled-too-soon NBC medical drama, Mercy).
18. OITNB shows how people change when they’re around certain people, and that’s definitely not confined to being in prison.
19. Where did Red (Kate Mulgrew) get the nickname Red? Her hair colour? Because she’s Russian? Or maybe there’s a Shawshank Redemption connection, Morgan Freeman’s character also had the nickname Red.
20. Love it, hate it, ignore it, haven’t gotten to it yet? There are obvious and subtle socioeconomic messages layered among the gratuitous sex scenes, high school drama, and First World Problems; highlighting circumstances may have landed most of the characters in prison, but some had more options than others. Orange Is the New Black is a pretty pink powder puff translation of a social system that’s as broken as those that end up in it, but it has an awesome cast, superb writing, great directing; overall, a cool show.
British computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee distributed his “informational management proposal” concerning a World Wide Web at CERN, March 12, 1989. As a Christmas gift he released the code to the public, Christmas Day 1990.
20 years ago eBay was launched (still waiting for those Beanie Babies).
20 years ago The White House launched it’s website (if users typed .com instead of .gov they got a porn site – kinda makes Obamacare glitches look boring).
16 years ago Google was launched.
Thank goodness, what did people spend all their time doing before they could search for:
What colour our poop should be.
Is Netflix watching me?
The Walking Dead,
The missing plane.
Game of Thrones.
What if your cat looks like Hitler.
Removing massive blood stains.
Why do old bands keep copying Glee songs?
How to use Google.
What does Daryl Dixon’s hair feel like?
Are rhinos just obese unicorns?
Can puppies read minds?
Can I be an alien and not know it?
Do zombies cry?
Kittens that look like Miley Cyrus.
Can Jesus marry?
Can Jesus marry Miley Cyrus?
Is Lena Dunham a ballerina?
And of course, more kittens.7 years ago Estonia holds first online parliamentary elections.
Chinese is the dominant language of the internet.
We sure have accepted this technology blindly; hope we’re not sorry.
So thank you Tim Berners-Lee. After 25 years of connecting the planet, a majority of time online is still spent watching porn, looking up celebrities, playing games, hooking up, clicking on kitten pix, and whining.